The last trip was to Melbourne, the second biggest metropolis in Australia and the "rival" of Sydney, as they always compete over the title of the best city.
I should defend Sydney, but I am weak for Melbourne and wish I had stayed there more! During my stay I saw the Great Ocean Road (including the 12 apostles, or according to Monica, the 6,5 apostles), an AFL game, the CBD, Saint Kilda (where my hostel was)including the Sunday market, Brunswick (the Brunswick Brunswick for the best brunch ever at Greens @ Sydney Road...thanks Lucy). And I even watched Eurovision...
The hostel was awesome and I didnt feel like leaving, so much more comfortable than our own flat, and not freezing inside. Plus free bubbly between 8-9, which is undeniable. It was located in Saint Kilda, one cosy area of Melbourne full of cafés and close to the beach. And with great roomies it was even better!
But so what, is Melbourne better than Sydney? Or the opposite? Lets deliver points:
- Cafés and restaurants :Melbourne
- Beaches :Sydney
- Weather :Sydney
- CBD: Melbourne (the alleys and the river!)
- Shopping: Melbourne (didnt go shopping but you can tell this is the place to be + the CBD has all types of shops, which is not the case of Sydney's CBD where u rather have crappy souvenir shops or luxurious boutiques)
- Transport: Sydney (the trams are cute in M but so slow and stop too early...)
Melbourne gets extra points for reminding me of Lund (Ariman style) and a European feeling.
My conclusion is that they are very similar, yet very different. And that for an exchange I would choose Sydney anytime, but for a longer stay, Melbourne would be the place. With jackets and warm shoes. _________________________________________________
Over to my stay here, I have no more than 45 days left in Australia and my Chinese visa is waiting to be used!
Therefore I decided to make a list over the things I have to do before leaving Sydney and Oz (made 17/5):
- Buy a boomerang
- Royal National Park
- (Port Stephens)
- Try vegemite (CHECK - no comments)
- Coogee-Bondi walk (CHECK)
- Imax movie theatre ...biggest in the world
- Surry Hills
- Walk on Sydney Harbour Bridge
- Queensland - Fraser, Whitsundays, Great Barrier Reef
Meanwhile this epic week continues. Ended up not going to Canberra but will do very soon...and I have Manly, IMAX and horse race left. woop woop!